Tuesday, October 13, 2015

'Kerndown' and Intro to Kerning


1st- Very close together, makes an impactful brand, would work on as a big bold nightclub sign even if the sign is short for a basement club.
2nd-  More spread out kerning considered for coffee cup holders/advertisements/sign is usually wider for the whole establishment. Also, still looks very funky due to capital/non capital mix so would be a hipster like coffee shop. Removal of the dot above the 'i' makes it more of consistent level for wider range of audience.




3rd- I wanted to play about with the level of the letters and it looks as if its all balancing on eachother, quite confused and is less commercial to do, which I thought could represent teenager style phases and confusion, and think this would look great on a clothing label as they are usually quite long anyway.

Our final 3- all very different, just by kerning!
Club/Hipster Coffee House/Teen Clothing Brand

I knew we were going to have a workshop/game on kerning when I came in on Monday but I just thought it seemed like a pretty simple/easy concept, was there much we could go in to depth with? Until this though I didn't realise how much it can really change the whole look of type!

 The game went really well, words picked at random by me the team leader worked out by adjusting letters as 'Wire', which is actually a pretty good club in Leeds. The letters weren't originally working but I decided by flipping the a and making it in to an 'e', and having a mix of capital/non capital made the word look unique and already have a quite contemporary funky look to it.

The second part was a lot harder when we had less time to make the text look like, for example, a Tarantino film title, but it was a game and really showed me kerning is indeed simple, but very effective. Now I want to crack on learning more about InDesign, as we can do metric/optic/manual kerning more accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment