Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Velvet Zine Development

I began by visiting the pages of the top 5 illustrators out of my favourites I felt worked together to give the zine a specific kind of look, and for the first time properly used a grid system which I can't believe I haven't used before! This made it a lot easier to keep the pages consistent and make the content compose throughout and is a direct consequence of our learning about gridding systems, and also using white space to allow content to breathe although overlapped for effect in some places. 
Whilst making these I viewed my blog post on the research I did and overlapped/had a horizontal title due to being influenced by these. This reinforces how useful research can be if it is what you love and aspire your work to look like.Also, getting the coding idea in feedback, to include, gives a consistent stamp on all pages that will give the credit due credit.

Mostly I found quotations on their instagrams and websites but I emailed a couple of the artists to see if I can get advice and feedback from them which is exciting as I really love their work and would be valuable to have their direct wording to me in my zine.




Once I have seen all the pages put together in Indesign I will see if there are any major issues. These could be that the text isn't easy to read due to overlapping or not clear enough, Could be imabalances of images placed, although this wasn't too much of an issue as their formats were the Instagram square for the most part. I am really excited to see them all put together as this is my first zine and includes some of my favourite artists. Gridding has been the most useful element to creating these these pages today and are extremely helpful when playing with different arrangements of content. These are the two I have gone for on the information pages.



These are the info pages for artist Mel Stringer. Once I had finished the first layout type I realised the image of her zines was too small, and only having one image on her introductory page, the art needed to be bigger to showcase her work a lot better and this was an opportunity to fill the space. I had initially not done this due to the problem with overlapping the text with the image, as I knew I wanted a consistent layout and some images would be particularly hard to read black over. This is something I will need feedback and to sit on for a few days as I am really enjoying the second layout design for all of them but it could be a big downfall in terms of the brief.

Pacifico matches the look of feminine, handwrendered type often hand drawn in zines seen in research, and is bold and clear enough to be read over images. My secondary font I chose to use was Bodoni as it has a sophisticated look to it and is often used in women's high end fashion publications and I wanted the contrast of illustrative to serious strong tyography. This may be changed but I am quite enjoying the balance of the two due to the feminine theme radiating from the pages. I have to remember what we have been taught about layout and composition within publications and let this be the dictator over the content itself, I have been so grateful for grids today!!


This is the first go at my front cover, with adjusting the velvet title to have softer edges to represent its name and the letters matched. I feel this image had the strength and dark boldness that would work well to be the figure with the title giving it an eye-catching front cover. The subtle colours I thought could become the secondary colour but I am struggling to pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment