Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Zine Adjustments

               

It has been pointed out that Bodoni for the publication style of a zine may look too editorial, and I want to explore a range of typefaces that fit the content together well. 

'Unicorn'
                   

This type is thicker but probably not more legible than the last. Despite having more of a glamourous theme to it because of the thick flicks that would work for each artist the smaller body of text is quite hard to read and I don't want to use over 3 different types of type as the publication is content heavy and I want to keep it to a simplistic arrangement.

'Mermaid'
Trying a more traditional serif style font to try and lift the poetry in meanings behind the artists words, dreams and illustrations, Still has a cosmopolitan feel to it but appears more meaningful of what the artist is saying and is extremely easy to read. However this may be too plain to celebrate the style opportunity of this type of illustrative themed publication, as zines are celebrated for their DIY self published handwrendered look.


Combinations of classic text giving genuine feel to the words and inspiration for the illustrator lovers who would be most likely to pick up the zine, but the big quote in a more quirky style to match the artists.

Feedback will be the best way to decide this as it is a really important part of making the zine, especially with having part of the quotation emphasized in size the style of the type impacts the whole look.

Other layouts I also considered were focusing on placing the images square shaped in honour to instagrams format but having it exactly like that would mean putting more of their work in when i am trying to get the readers to visit their social medias and explore their work for themselves. I also thought it would be important to include a photograph of the artists themselves but for one or two I can't really find an image of them as they just represent their art online so this idea was set aside, aswell as including an instagram icon as I don't want to add too many other pieces to keep the layout simple and balanced. Looking back to my chosen research images to blog, I loved the double image effect but that would be more suited for photography purposes as not all the illustrations fill the entirety of the space and such and don't have the alluring detail and textures that make this effect particularly succesful and I want to keep some white space like many zines do.With overlapping squares of their work, this also becomes a consistency issue due to the varied placings of detail from each artist. I am glad I experimented with variations of my first layout and that I was eager to try some of the effects I enjoyed in other publications, but with this zine I need to make sure their work is showcased well and not overcomplicate. With this layout I am aiming at spurring the young creatives/students/art admirers to go and check the artists work out and promote their shops so by not showing too much of their work this does that.

No comments:

Post a Comment