Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Secret 7" Research and Initial Ideas

http://s-mcdonald1316-dp.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/ougd503-secret-7-inspiration.html

Many of the winners take the illustrative route which gives the covers the look of a unique collectible, and are intriguingly ambitious, and ambiguity seems to be the winning direction to go in but I will see where the designs go.

I love the fine art ones with print detail, which I may try doing mono print experiments, and I would really love to do marbling and brusho experiments too.

Ideally I would love to produce 3 covers for Chvrches, Tame Impala and Etta James as these are ones I feel I have interesting ideas that can be pushed with experimentation and more development. If I can't produce one good enough for one of them I will cut those out to making just 2 or 1 as I want them to have a chance of being chosen and work I can put in a portfolio to demonstrate my styles!

Following from the study task I knew it was crucial to listen to the songs themselves and pick out lyrics that relate to the design.

Etta James - At Last





Using lyrics 'and then the spell was cast' to provoke dreamy effect in the details, with stars arranging themselves around the letters. The second didn't really follow much of a style but the nautical theme of the starfish suggest fantasy world in which she feels in love. Would be good to handwrender lyrics and draw details but this needs to be taken further possibly?



'Heart wrapped in clover' lyrics. As clover leafs are shaped as hearts, a pattern cover with the clovers drawn to look like actual hearts can be tried in traditional green colour with marbling of erethral colours to represent the dreamy state? Having all over pattern can make the design pop and really stand out amongst minimal entries.

Chxrches - Clearest Blue


The idea is more in my head, as described on the website the song progresses in to an exciting crash of layers and this could be represented on the cover with a wave of some sort starting small and progressing in to crazy off the page design. brusho's are quite free and unpredictable so experimenting with these would be ideal, to then work on later! I am going to see if marbling and brush's are available at the university if not I will have to find them on my own as these are exciting tools to work with which will make the covers one of a kind I think. I enjoy the unpredictability of some art materials. The ground can be primarily blue relating to the title, but bursts of colour waving over.

Tame Impala - The Less I Know The Better



A simple photograph of his subject walking off with the other lover, while he is in the background waiting. I think photographs on their own can say so much and have a lot of impact on covers. Some of my favourite album covers are just photographs that really intrigued me and made me want to hear the music. Another idea I had was using the lyrics 'better late than never', his unrequited love towards the end of the song ends as she seems to warm to the idea of the relationship, therefore the words pulling back together the broken heart. Threaded in to the heart with the needle as detail? Then I considered this being a patch on a sleeve, as he is 'wearing his heart on his sleeve' with the songs emotional theme and lyrics

Very rough sketches of ideas I plan to try and do








My plan for this week is to get my brusho/marbling samples ready, all variations, ready to overlay and experiment with. My aim is to have a final idea or 2 possibly, for each of these songs. Marbled overlays can be a way of making these a set but I want them to all be quite different. Also, any drawings I will need to scan in to be done and some monoprint experiments, before I take any ideas forward and need to buy certain art supplies. I have noted ones I would use as I had a look today round art shops and saw materials I could use. So I won't overspend I am going to aim for drawing and experimenting on the foundation layers before buying glitter paint or stars, jawbreakers/candy, or borrowing a camera for professional photography shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment