Monday, October 17, 2016

Considerations before InDesign

At this stage I have discussed my decision to allow the book to be a photo book without context such as night out experiences or being a memory book as these could hinder its target audience, whilst allowing the neon type to express itself and create this book as a Manchester edition of shooting neon type with film gives it a selling point for creatives and those who admire the nightlife in the popular city. Using the neon bee also ties in with Manchesters mark as the revolutionary industrialized city and resonates with its mark spotted all around Manchester of the worker bee, and will work in continuous line such as neon bars. Ideally I would have this in LED but would be too costly at this stage.


'The worker bee was adopted as a motif for Manchester during the Industrial Revolution, at a time when Manchester was taking a leading role in new forms of mass production. ' wikipedia




Within the crit another issue I had was deciding if aswell as a book I should try making the photos pull out of a case so it can become a storage spot for users own photographs, printing my images on photo paper to go hand in hand with my method of taking these photos of neon type. It was suggested inside this cover at the back I could have the neon bee printed glow in the dark which I don't know if will be succesful or not, therefore I have a lot of test prints to do. I am not getting certain answers from crits so I am to go with my gut feelings and try both out. It will be kept rather minimal now allowing the type to be glorified. I felt good about coming to this decision as I think the elements of glow in the dark, fluorescent, black stock combined with my images are enough to make it an interesting publication that would attract lovers of photography and design such as myself and become a project where being minimal transcends, much because of the all black pages. Within my research of all black page books the effect of enhancing the content is a definite design decision that will compliment my style of type photography so well.

Order- The appropriate way to order images will be at random or varied in finish as I want to remove a couple of very low quality images that would bring down the publications finish and photographic impact
Size- limited to being quite a small publication, pages probably only a little larger than standard small photograph sizing of 4x6 to allow the image to bleed in to the black. will have to see how this goes with test prints booked for wednesday.
Front and back/inside cover- title 'type in context: Get Lit', manchester bee. need to experiment with fluorescent or glow in the dark inks screenprinted which will determined the stock. also the typography. need to decide on an introduction, ideally want a quotation like in the Neon book which introduces the images in an upbeat admirable nature which serves its purpose in wanting to get people interested in neons craft and impact
Layout of images-ideally like photo books mostly left or right aligned, will try double page spread but dont think this will work due to scans of photographs
How binding implicates outcome- as the book won't be that thick perfect binding could be an option but want to avoid this. aim to try signature bookbinds this week.
Colour profile/spot colouring- choose the most appropriate high impact profile for heavy black printing.
Choosing of images- only using the best quality images
Commercial considerations- is it tricky to create or easily mass produced?
Stocks- have ordered 3 stocks and aim to test print on photo paper to establish best outcome for finalisation

No comments:

Post a Comment