Thursday, October 6, 2016

Inspiring designs from 'Neon' book

My favourite quote of the introductions, written in a soft tube typeface is "Neon colours are alarming but also seductive. I want to create works that look better than reality. Neon represents another state of mind and consciousness. It's the trick of alienation.'"- Jiri Geller 




 A clever and intricate way of implementing neon or glow in the dark inks wether spray painted or not, this can be painted on. a limitation of using glow in the dark is it is more costly and only works on exposed stock due to its need of light to charge so it would just be the sides glowing in the dark and perhaps the cover. using fluorescent inks would be a better option as this kind of detail can be seen in all lights while celebrating the focus of my publication.





 I was attracted to the contrast of neon to dark which encourages me more to do the pages black as it literally lights up the detail and colour of type which should be the main focus.



this cool idea instantly caught my attention! the use of vinyl and foiling combined by the fluorescence adds the lit edge effect I enjoyed used for the casing of the cover and I haven't seen an effect like this before. Quite a simple effect but an eccentric one. i'd consider this for the cover as it wouldn't work in balance with my imagery and would distract. The cover and outsides of my publication are the best opportunity for me to use wild design techniques as I want it to be something someone can see straight away on a bookshelf.



Vibrant fluorescent combinations would make the publication stand out for sure, all depending on which typeface is used with this can work quite well. However, although this is succesful on this example and for the book these are found from, my nighttime theme perhaps should be continued on the cover being primarily black to keep an elegant dark theme continuously but fluorescents can be used in places. This would be succesful as a series which mine would be implemented as by the titles second part ':Manchester'.

No comments:

Post a Comment