Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Studio Brief 1: How Do You Read? Interim Crit and manifesto



Idea mockup for colour blindness information.


Mockup of colouring book idea. I asked for both, despite it being this format, wether to make a flipbook or concertina/how to arrange pages/orientation


After a feedback session in which I showed my two drawn out ideas in concertina form on either making content on colour blindness or colour fiction both for children, my most praised idea was my idea for colour fiction.

This will become a colouring book with facts on pantones and colour for children in which they develop and learn their own understanding of colours and their relations to themes and emotions. I will have a drawing central to its own page to be filled in by the children, filling the page and drawn to keep the balance correct. The drawings and its previous title page will be the figure of the page and my typeface chosen will be non serious and soft, probably a sans serif typeface that will be consistent from front page to genre titles. Using the main genres and ones we used in our study task on colour for genres, there will be enough pages to make a small booklet.

Questions I asked were if I needed more genres/content added, in which it was suggested I add in fun facts on colours to give the booklet more informative qualities as well as being for the childs own colour theory development. Initially, my publication was definitely going to be a small flip booklet content working horizontally, or a concertina to give it a fun look for the young target audience and relate back to our folding study task. The idea was put forward to have a standard small booklet which I will try out in measurements of a passport book as one page can be the title and the other will be filled with the illustration, working horizontally to use space as efficiently as possible for good composition and balance. My previous idea to have a long horizontal page, when sketched up, didn't have enough space for an illustration to be big enough to colour in, and having a large filled title page will engage the child more and perhaps make them think more about the genre if it is big and bold. I also asked for further suggestions, in which I decided to add to the first page a series of the most basic colours for the children to reference and ones I can give facts on throughout the booklet which I am unsure of as of yet.

For the cover, as it is purely about colour choice and there are already fun illustrations within, I am thinking to have a wheel of pantone colour as the ground for the front cover. As for titles, Colour Theory/Cast Your Colour/Colour Fiction, with a subtitle I am not sure yet.

MANIFESTO

My aim with my small publication is to inform and engage young audiences in to taking an interest in colour theory and how it is used, by using fun illustrations to project colour in working by genre. This extends their knowledge of the different types of fiction genres there are to read and be interested in, but also learn how colours can cover a range of different emotions and how they impact the design world around them from an early age. As well as being self educational, the booklet also aims to give children fun facts about basic colours they are becoming aware of. It aims to be a fun, non formal/serious way to educate and the results of seeing the embodiment of colours dedicated to a genre on each page will be an exciting and interesting view in to how the child interprets these genres and colour and their results can be shared and discussed among each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment