Monday, January 18, 2016

Studio Brief 2 Final Adjustments and Print Process




After much asking around wether my first colour scheme is the strongest, or is the green/blue/pink more eye-catching and get the information across more impact fully, even though opinions were spread between both, most likely due to personal taste in colour, the first is what I will go on to print.

As well as the important infographics jumping off the page in the alarming yellow colour at different sizes, the trio of CMYK's primary colours bouncing off eachother makes the balance of information a success. The print will also be very strong which is one of the most important elements of this whole brief. e92888/00b2b2/f0d500


The glossiest stock was aesthetically pleasing and had a gorgeous feel to it but wasn't necessary for my information and its purpose. It could be said the shine relates to the reflection off a TV screen, but the other two had a shine without being overly glossy such as this stock and I felt it was too dramatic and distracted from the highlighted yellow information on my pages.


This type of stock had small imprints within it giving the stock more of a texture, but the print wasn't as defined as on the other two.


I felt this stock that I chose to go with had the sheen and reflectiveness of a TV screen as a subtle detail, but didn't distract from the information provided and the colours printed the most crisp and contrasted of all 3.


Due to time management being off to fault of my own, despite hearing there was a tool to use for cutting and rounding off edges, at first I tried with a craft knife which was very hard to navigate for me and left the paper with a frayed torn edge which isn't professional.


Before deciding to cut the edges with thin scissors for more control over the cut, ordering my cards the issue arose of what to bind them together with. Running out of time to go out and find bookbinding screws I decided using a gold pin would mimmick the screw as it allows the cards to rotate like intended and the rounded head would become part of the dial detail on the TV emoji (ideally the same dark grey rather than shiny gold.) The rounded off edges of the emoji also work in favour of my production design as it gives ease to the function of swiping/twisting the pages out rather than being all sharp edges which could be more irritating to move numerous times.

When coming to printing, on Indesign I put two to a page on A4 sheets of stock. I experimented with 3 types of postcard stock between 250-270 gsm which I preferred as it would have less wear and tear with the decision to have the layers being swiped to the side, and would be a more solid package altogether. I printed on stocks similar to the event flyers students receive day in day out.

What makes my design different is the stacks and bind which is unique in comparison to the flyers and letters that come through the post. In addition, being more like a pack this would stand out amongst what else we receive and at a glance may bin as it is familiar and considered junk/irritating, but the decision to have the pack serves the purpose of making students pay attention to the issue and get their licence declared to avoid fines. Due to it's humorous tone of voice and popping colours and familiarity to fun event leaflets and the modern language of emoji's, the use of an envelope which I had previously considered wouldn't be necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment