Saturday, January 23, 2016

Studio Brief 2 Tv Licence Evaluation

First off, as I have just finished making my final information leaflet, although I am not disappointed in my work and find my design decisions appropriate which have lead to quite a charming final outcome, a lot more thought in to the practical processes of print set-up and cutting should have been more thorough for a more perfect resolution and in future needs to be practised. My cards are not perfectly aligned/cut, the corners aren't perfectly rounded off and the gold pin isn't what would be used if sent out but I feel my outcome does demonstrate very well my design decisions and the function of my information leaflet.

The design itself I feel reaches to it's target audience and has the right tone of voice needed to put across the message in comparison to the very old Columbo advert, which could come across as ridiculous or scary and extremely outdated. Students/our age range need to not be patronised and reached to in a low pressure, trustworthy tone of voice as University can be daunting as it is, which I personally experienced, and getting a very formal daunting letter from the Tv Licening company wasn't a pleasant feeling, which is why I felt I needed to aim for this target audience and for my information leaflet to be approached different to serve a useful purpose. Using the TV Emoji and humour such as the cheeky Netflix and Chill phrase speaks to the age group in their language and can be more accepted opposed to warnings. The tone of voice used gains trust from its readers and would keep them swiping through to the end.

While putting together my final prints I was worried it could be tedious to move each card but as the CMYK colours are eye popping and the tone of voice engaging, and as its function is so different to a standard leaflet or letters we see everyday and you could say desensitized to, are more likely to finally probe them to declare their licence and not bin at a first glance. The tall brash prominent initial 'Stop' and the threat of a fine being the first page would prompt the reader to want to get to the next page to avoid this, and the order of the information of most alarming from the front and helpful to the back was done deliberately to keep them interested as it is at their best interest.

Within my research in to styles generally aimed at young adults, Din was a reoccurring choice with a young style to it. As it initially was used at first in Germany in the early 1900s being legible enough for the letters to be close together and fill signs to give power to the text on warning signs and street signs, and has a strong geometry and thickness to it. Not commonly used to small print, but to make powerful headers, it has worked really well as my cards are information>infographics heavy so I need to make the important information stand out as much as I could which I achieved using Din.

If I were to do this differently I would explore a different approach not tied to social media/TV's such as something related to University or other habits to have a wider range of ideas. I would also in future really try to gain knowledge of the tools used in the practical side of what I am producing to expand my skills and have the most successful distribution of my designs. Despite these small issues, the concept itself is a strong fusion of what is related to student life which I feel is strongly visually communicated through my final product and is something very different to what I have seen distributed which I am proud of. It grabs attention through it's text, tone of voice, design and visuals. I acknowledge in future I need to refine my practical skills and approach concepts from as many different angles as I can when decided on the target audience.



As for the pages, what I would have done differently would be the have the back page as the blank emoji the text is placed on or have the final page double sided with the one above it. The adjustments to the emoji itself removing its borders within the screen allowed the text to fill the screen without being made smaller to fit within these boundaries which were un needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment