Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Feedback for studio brief 1

Studio Brief 1

When presenting my ideas which included the carnival, first film and unity day, instantly the most talked about with my partner was the carnival.
This year happens to be its 50th anniversary, and as it has been running since the 60s it has definetley shaped Leeds in the sense it gave comfort for those of 'west Indian home sickness' and is a theme celebrated in other citys too, proving its significance. It is a beautiful celebration which has every year had huge turnouts by people from all over Leeds and the country; with beautiful celebratory visuals and tribute to West Indian culture which is especially in a strange time like now where immigration is one of the most talked about topics in social and political debates. For me personally, and as discussed with my partner, working on a celebratory piece full of colour and rich historical references would be amazing to work on and exhibit, to celebrate integrating other cultures in Leeds and showcasing its colourfully happy contagious festivity!

Main points made to go forward with the Carnival-
-50th anniversary this year
-Long standing Leeds event
-Can print make using textiles used in the events costumes possibly
-Costumes can be a primary focus, using its shapes and colours with traditional print methods
-Celebrate cultural aspects traditionally represented such as 'jaw-dropping costumes, infectious tropical rhythms, mouth watering food and entertainment for everyone.'  (http://www.leedscarnival.co.uk/about-us/)-The infamous Notting Hill carnival was inspired by this event, which supports the carnivals significance
-Creating a liberating piece for the exhibition incorporating my love for colour and shapes, mainly when done with lino and mono print for me, leaves so many exciting options for experimentation. Creating something truly unique to applaud 50 years of the carnival means I can get in touch with the founder and event organisers and even send them my final piece, as at home I attend the annual Caribbean Carnival of Manchester and the themes and purposes of these carnivals mean a lot to me and I relish being there!
-Community driven, which is useful to promote Leeds as

My partner also suggested using 60s inspired design as it is the era the Carnival originated in, which will be a look back to its beginnings but having the contrast of modern costumes used. This is an amazing contrast that is exciting to ponder, and my love for 60's design fits perfectly and taking inspiration from modern images and matching with 60s artworks could make a very quirky piece for the exhibition.



Record shops are a constant souce of inspiration, and seeing the Hendrix cover got my mind going on how I can arrange the carnival performers and how the composition can be represented. This cover is one of my favourites of all time and inspires me to bring in my love for bright 60s artworks to blend styles for the Carnival piece. As it is traditional print, the CREAM cover below (which I know isn't 60's) has more solid shaping which can be achieved by screen printing or lino easiest- it is a way I can seperate colours and shapes using these print methods which is essential to this brief.

However, with further feedback with tutor, it must be remembered not to make this in to a 60s hippie style piece as that has no association with the carnival whatsoever and wouldn't be true, so need to be very careful with the semiotics. Was suggested I look at how one of my idols, Kate Moross, makes gorgeous striking colourful designs but appropriately. Printing with textiles can be done, but this needs to be a very refined piece of design for our exhibition. I feel lino print and screen print have the most control but if I want to work with monoprint I need to do a lot of experimentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment