Monday, April 30, 2018

Brief 7- Evaluation

As this was inspired by a business pitch, I wanted to make this as exciting as I tried to pitch it as a business idea. Creating my own festival branding has always been of interest as combining music, experience and design are key interests of my practice. As well as this, creating exciting design that attracts a consumer. Making this festival a special 'ultimate' holiday festival experience required implementation of this in the brand identity most importantly.

I incorporated the features of the sea, island, sunshine and cultural aspects of the island festival and through feedback suggestions, turned these in to little icons on the wristband. Intermix was created as a bespoke brand identity that would stand out amongst the most popular European festivals researched.

Looking at elements of successful festival branding was crucial, and through all were excitement driven design with strong bold branding. The aspect of this missing is photography- therefore, as Parklife have successfully done, illustrating a concept of the festivals strong points and fun energy were transcribed through my illustration.

As well as the illustration and logo being bespoke, the colours used had to revolve around holiday and party/contemporary/fun colours. I started working with a colour pallette, however when each part of the illustration was coloured individually it brought down the quality of the design and reminded me more of local festival posters I had seen, so using a gradient map gave the festival a more defining colour pallette to remember and from yellow to pink, gives the fun energy shown through the illustration as well as the prospect of being under the sun on a beach!

The people dancing on the beach, confetti, overemphasised speakers and palm trees/buildings/sunshine are intended to grab the attention of a festival goer looking for more than a festival. I feel the magnitude of the festival is shown through emphasized illustration and using popular musicians on the lineup.  However, I really wish I would have considered this for a collaboration opportunity but left it too late in the year. To really get across the big idea as I did in the pitch, naming it the ultimate festival holiday, bringing other designers and animators on board would have been extremely beneficial.

Would have gone further animating my illustrations and logo- and creating a set of more posters, but I feel as I chose to work on this closer to the deadline and it isn't a collaboration, I was worried of not completing this to the standard I would want it. Ofcourse I would love to create a Parklife like mammoth ultimate set of the festival pack but as it is just me I worried. Despite this I feel I have achieved a unique brand identity which is contemporary, using a bold sans serif typeface including icon elements of the festival which makes the branding unique.

This brief has emphasized the importance of collaboration for my practice. An aim of mine is to work collaboratively in a studio, as ideas like these can be taken so much further with different skillsets. I used my illustration and graphic design relatively well to get the brand identity off the ground but would have collaborated if I could go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment