Friday, March 10, 2017

Studio Brief 2 idea development

https://www.facebook.com/BBCLifestyleHealth/videos/391933661172795/

An amazing new BBC male suicide awareness aimed at young males has emerged and gone viral on Facebook which approaches the subject perfectly and is so moving. The sharing of this has also been crazy with so many people including myself posting that they are so glad this is being spoke about, and that it is being circulated around and with the subject of the video being a young lad- this will really speak to those struggling and makes it non shameful to feel that way. Because of this large scale, highly appropriate execution of the issue now going viral, my project will now be on sexual harassment which is more personal to me anyway meaning I feel my input will have more strength. However much i wanted to work on this cause, seeing that it is being done is so reassuring and heart warming that in this country at least, equality is becoming more and more discussed and shown. really happy this came about, and it proves that it being an idea I put forward had strength and relevancy behind it.

Ideas for sexual harassment, a current epidemic in UK universities, still a crisis globally- students on nights out. Need to get a large body of factual research and anecdotes from students willing to contribute, as for my student target audience being surrounded by fellow students is perfect for this part of my research and I want to represent both genders as a lot of the campaigning is central to women which is perfectly understandable, but after feedback crits and discussions with male peers they have expressed their desire for both genders to be represented as they have had experiences too.

Guerilla advertising in bars, busy bar streets, places people I speak to have been innappropriately contacted, etc
A very creative way of creating awareness in bars and clubs by using coasters done in the style I am considering.



Posters for social media and in relevant venues - behind toilet doors in uni, bars, Spotify banners, although this is currently being done very appropriately by the campaign Disrespect NoBody spreading awareness of domestic/relationship abuse, consent, and the danger of sharing intimate images on social medias on a very appropriate platform.



Disrespect NoBody - social media campaign shown in appropriate platforms of the target audience

Very unfortunate but needed poster in a Lincolnshire bar, very supportive

Actually was effective in reducing these issues in Vancouver after being put up in schools and bars


 
Striking shock to the system that can stop someones inappropriate thoughts and spread awareness in a powerful way
There were a lot less examples of sexual harassment of men


Zine/publication documenting peoples experiences- possibly not in a heavy way, in more of a strength and unity way of people who dealt with it to inspire empowerment of others, or a more serious publication documenting stories and ways to get help and deal with these issues.




http://www.ocadu.ca/services/odesi/harassment-on-campus-1/sexual-violence-support.htm

Working in an illustrative format makes the subject more approachable and less brash, as with these topics they can be riveting to a lot of people

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/ocrshpam.pdf
A more professional guide on sexual harassment showing the areas I can approach

Really need to get thorough feedback on how to approach this issue correctly and will bring these 3 ideas forward. A fellow LCA student in fine art posted asking for funny sexual experiences to be sent for zine, but am aware mine is a more sensitive subject in which I need to have an ethical approach.
Catcalling/groping/inappropriate comments, wanting more inputs of how they rejected the harassment to inspire rebellion and defence against sexual harassment.

Update: recently I have experienced sneers for speaking about promoting arts and exhibitions in a local venue by one of the managers who I was giving valuable market consumer feedback and was quite ruffled when I heard he had been sniggering at me with his friends. Perhaps speaking up on the issue, gathering expieriences which will be often, of being laughed at for being an artist would be a valuable project.

Trying to find pieces on this, there isn't as much done however I feel this is something me and those around me will all have an anecdote for

https://www.bgsu.edu/content/dam/BGSU/college-of-arts-and-sciences/sociology/documents/Posters/sanders-alisha.pdf
1. Stereotypes about art students are not isolated from each other. • Savannah on the stereotype that art students are promiscuous: “I think that goes back to how most, a lot of art students aren’t conserva2ve . . . but I [also] don’t think it’s a very fair stereotype because they’re basing it on how people are dressing.” 2. The stereotypes are never en2rely true or false. • Savannah on the stereotype that studio art is an “easy A” major: “I don’t think that’s an accurate stereotype at all,” later explaining that it persists because high school art classes are par2cularly easy compared to other high school classes. 3. Discrimination surrounding the stereotypes seems to be mostly subtle, not overt. • Savannah on the discriminaton she faces because of her dyed hair: “I feel like people don’t want to talk to me as much because they’re scared of me or they think I’m weird and different and I’m not a nice person even though I consider myself preQy nice.”

While trying to gather more research, the issue of lack of diversity in the creative industries has more content and is being protested more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment