Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Motivational Mantras for the design student



I chose this catchy title as it links the bold zing and alert brightness of the colour palette used and the short, boldly put strong pieces of advice directly related to first year graphic design that are key points I have put together myself and through feedback of others in my year. Using striking shape overlays, a monoprint and adjusting hues I feel this balance has the electric energy of my art direction and I want this electricity to be felt by the students seeking guidance and a creative boost which this is intended for.

With this brief I followd mainly one of the mantras, 'have fun with it.' Typing it out I realised this was a key opportunity to work with my favourite use of colour which is bright and contrasting, and allow this to give off an exciting energy which was needed as I realised my quotes due to being in tall strong typeface Bebas Neue may look shouted as if they were orders. However, I wanted to turn around this affect of the typeface and make it a positive helpful but loud reminder that would stand out in flats/classrooms/halls of LCA students giving them an energy boost and reminder to have fun with it and not forget key points to being successful that could be overlooked due to distractions, in which I am encouraging them to know they are good enough to do it and this is a distraction due to colours but a reminder; productive wall piece/poster!

Before print tommorow I intend to put my designs all together and may adjust mantras to be more soft such as typical motivational mantras I have researched such as these


I did attempt to use a calligraphy typeface or one with a softer, more elegant tone of voice but as shown in my main inspiration of the wall design in Shoreditch of 'bad until you're good', the two contrasting strengths of the capital tight typeface and crazy clashing of colours work together. These types of mantras are more life mantras that work well with brilliant scenery backdrops of nature and buddhist imagery, but I have designed this to be specifically for the art student. I also feel calligraphy style is very popular in the graphic design community for self inspiration and motivation, but I want to try it in a more modernist style way decreasing the softness and adding power as personally I find bolder statements/more boldy designed statements more motivating as I feel it has truer intentions. Just like I prefer constructive criticism as it helps me improve my work as i've learnt, rather than just being told my work is 'nice' or 'good.'

No comments:

Post a Comment