Sunday, April 17, 2016

Studio Brief 1: How do you read? Evaluation

With both sides to this pull out colour in leaflet completed, I knew when it came to printing the stock would have to be low gsm allowing the significant amount of folds to work, and also a stock that can be coloured in on which I tested with pencil crayon before sending to print.Both stocks are very similar, just that one was higher gsm and when folding the two the thinner one folded very well which I was relieved about as having both attempts wrong would have been disappointing.

Cons of my production were that I didn't fold professionally so the folds arent all aligned. In future I need to consider that when producing publications and leaflets, print shouldn't be last minute as there are skills and techniques to learn when binding and folding. Unfortunately I left it quite last minute.
Also, my colour wheel segment is too low down due to inaccurate folding/cutting. This is the only very obvious layout error.

Despite this I am very proud of the turnaround of layout, pondering a concertina for so long. Having this as a fold out and the size it is at, all aspects of the design are legible and communicate a child like theme and the information is communicated simply but with an element of playful design such as the overlaying spalts of complimentary colours, bubble type, and large lashes of hue/tone/shade/tint colour cuts which if it werent for the shade being a little too dark, would be a striking poster from far away which implements the variants of colour which is easy to understand for the target audience.

I feel for this brief I spent too much time worrying about how I would make the long concertina and didn't consider alternatives as soon as I should have. Although I pulled it together towards the end, there are elements of the design I overlooked such as having the right typeface for the poster side (should have used the font used in my other info segments rather than the font intended to be coloured in) and the tools that allow folding to be more accurate and seamless.

Seeing it put down, I really feel it does attract attention because of its quirky rainbow front and doesn't appear boring or dull for the target audience. As the cover is multicoloured and pocket sized, being handed out with a pack of crayons serves the purpose of the leaflet and matches it's design aesthetic and would fit very well together. Being distributed in primary schools and handed out at book fairs, even possibly at restaurants when children receive a pack of crayons, these would go hand in hand which reiterates why I designed and produced this leaflet this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment